Forgot Password?

Weekly News, Analysis, and Commentary

Extremities Feature

Source: U.S. Navy photo by Journalist Seaman Erica Mater

16 Top Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons in North America

Elizabeth Hofheinz, M.P.H., M.Ed. • Wed, September 30th, 2015

Print this article

Whether treating a calcaneal fracture or exploring it in the lab, these orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons are at the forefront of efforts to keep North America mobile and active. The 16 physicians here represent standout orthopedic surgeons dedicated to improving the daily lives of their patients. Those in the know about foot and ankle surgery gave us their thoughts on these top orthopedic specialty surgeons.

Here is that list. We don’t have “the market” on lists…this isn’t the be-all and end-all list—but it is a list of the most impressive orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons in the country. The information in quotation marks is what the peers of these top doctors said about them.

This information was obtained via a telephone survey of thought leaders in the field. No one at OTW names anyone to the list.

In alphabetical order, here are 16 of the top orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons in North America.

StarJudith F. Baumhauer, M.D., M.P.H.

Dr. Baumhauer is a professor in the department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Rochester. She is a past president of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) and the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS). “Judy is a caring, skilled orthopaedic surgeon who is always on the leading edge of how innovations may be applied to daily care of patients. She has recently served as the primary investigator for an international multicenter study that has proven the efficacy and safety of a new hemi arthroplasty implant for treatment of metatarsal phalangeal arthritis.”

StarChristopher P. Chiodo, M.D.

Dr. Chiodo is chief of the Foot and Ankle Surgery Service at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. “He is a leading figure in researching foot and ankle disorders; he pursues this work with extreme care and thoughtfulness. He is also serving our field via his position on the editorial board of Foot and Ankle International.

StarThomas O. Clanton, M.D.

Dr. Clanton is director for Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado, and is a past president of the AOFAS. “As an expert in foot and ankle and sports medicine, Tom maintains a thoughtful and effective approach to the management of sports foot and ankle injuries. Tom’s talents and clinical acumen continue to distinguish him as a respected authority and educator for treating athletes with foot and ankle injuries.”

StarChris Coetzee, M.D., Mb., ChB.

Dr. Coetzee is an orthopedic surgeon with Twin Cities Orthopedics in Minneapolis and clinical associate professor at the University of Minnesota Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. “He is considered one of the most talented surgeons in foot and ankle. His excellence in teaching from the podium and in the operating room have brought him international recognition. He is a critical thinker who brings efficiency and practicality into his roles as a leader, clinician and product designer.”

StarMichael Coughlin, M.D.

Dr. Coughlin is an orthopedic surgeon with the Coughlin Foot and Ankle Clinic at St. Alphonsus Hospital in Boise, Idaho, and a clinical professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of California San Francisco. Dr. Coughlin is a past president of the AOFAS and the International Federation of Foot & Ankle Societies. “He is one of the acknowledged experts in the field of foot and ankle surgery. He is an adept clinician who has many years of experience supporting his wealth of knowledge, and he has been one of the principal editors of the most widely used textbooks on foot and ankle surgery. These characteristics along with his affable nature and creative abilities (having designed several widely used surgical techniques) make him one of the top foot and ankle surgeons in the country.”

StarTimothy R. Daniels, M.D.

Dr. Daniels is an associate professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto and head of orthopedic surgery at St. Michael’s Hospital. He is also an associate scientist in the Keenan Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital. “Tim is one of the best thinkers in our profession. Every time he stands up and presents a paper, one has to stop and listen. There will be pearls of wisdom that one can use every day. As such, he is one of the most respected teachers in our time.”

StarMark E. Easley, M.D.

Dr. Easley is an associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Duke University Medical Center. He serves as one of the directors of the Duke Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program. He is the current president of the AOFAS. “He is a thoughtful, skilled orthopedic surgeon, teacher and leader in the orthopedic foot and ankle community. Mark has presented at numerous local national and international meetings where he has shared his clinical skills with colleagues from all over the world.”

StarMark A. Glazebrook, M.D., FRCS(C), M.Sc., Ph.D.

Dr. Glazebrook is an assistant professor of surgery in the division of orthopedics at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia; he holds a cross appointment to the School of Biomedical Engineering. “Dr. Glazebrook has proven over the past few years to be the most innovative researcher in Canada. As part of the larger Canadian Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society he and his co-workers throughout Canada created the most extensive database on ankle arthritis and the management of that in the world.”

StarJeffrey E. Johnson, M.D.

Dr. Johnson is a professor of orthopedic surgery at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. “He is adept with complicated cases, and knows how to break complex deformities into parts and address each part so that it is simplified. He has done innovative research on fusions and deformity correction.”

StarAnish R. Kadakia, M.D.

Dr. Kadakia is an associate professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “He has been the leader in research in ankle fractures. He has top notch knowledge and the highest dedication to resident education.”

StarFlorian Nickisch, M.D.

Dr. Nickisch is an associate professor in the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of Utah. “He has been the leader in forefoot surgeries. He is a great educator and compassionate doctor with high patient satisfaction. He always gives clear bulleted teaching points with case examples.”

StarSalene G. Parekh, M.D., M.B.A.

Dr. Parekh is an orthopedic surgeon with the North Carolina Orthopaedic Clinic and an associate professor of Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Duke University. “Salene is a very busy and talented orthopedic surgeon who has the ability to use his clinical skills and ideas towards innovations in clinical care. Salene collaborates with surgeons and other colleagues to improve orthopedic care for patients through the development of surgical procedures and devices.”

StarPhinit Phisitkul, M.D.

Dr. Phisitkul is a clinical associate professor in the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation. “He is rapidly developing into an academic leader in foot and ankle surgery publishing numerous articles in well-respected high impact orthopaedic journals. In a short time, he has made substantial contributions to the science and clinical knowledge of foot and ankle care in North America. He is active in the AOFAS and has strong leadership potential at both the national and international levels.”

StarCharles L. Saltzman, M.D.

Dr. Saltzman is chair of the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of Utah where he serves as the LS Peery Presidential Endowed Professor. He is a former president of the AOFAS and the International Federation of Foot and Ankle Societies and president of the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons. “He is one of the most well rounded academic foot and ankle surgeons in leadership, science and technology. He has been an international leader in establishing methods and systems for performing outcomes research in foot and ankle. His publications have established the standard of excellence in clinical and basic science lower extremity studies. Among his many innovations are innovative methods, technologies and devices to perform joint replacement, fusions and reconstructions.”

StarLew C. Schon, M.D.

Dr. Schon is director of foot and ankle services at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. He is also founder and director of the Orthobiologic Laboratory at that facility. Dr. Schon is a past president of the AOFAS. He is an associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Biomedical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a clinical associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Georgetown University School of Medicine. “Lew is very innovative with regard to surgical procedures, and approaches his cases with planning and precision. He has done impressive work with biologics as well, including pioneering basic science research that will contribute to advances in our field.”

StarBruce Sangeorzan, M.D.

Dr. Sangeorzan is a professor of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the VA Center of Excellence in Limb Loss Prevention and Prosthetic Engineering. He is the immediate past president of the AOFAS. “He is an expert in foot and ankle, as well as trauma surgery. Bruce maintains a thoughtful and carefully structured approach to orthopaedic foot and ankle care that distinguishes him as a role model among his peers.”

Send to a Friend

The article link will be sent to the email address you provide

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Friend's Email (required)

Comments

62 Responses to “16 Top Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons in North America”

1. Amy says:

I dislocated my ankle in a canyon awhile back. I have realized that my foot is pointing straight – the one injured. And my left foot is pointing inward. I sprained the other one. My ankles r unhealthy due to these accidents. My fibula on the right inner ankle is pointing out.

My tibula on the right outside knee is pointing out.

This causing my hip on the right side to hurt and so on.

2. Amy 314 359 5209 says:

Thanks for your time.
    2nd toe healed wrong from a break/soccer/tip of toe
    The center was fused. I had perfectly healthy joints
    I can’t bend it. I m extremely unhappy- I am a dancer not to mention- I can’t live with this extremely uncomfortable feeling constantly.
    I have heard the inplant aren’t stable? I have heard that I can have the bone cut in half with a wire and a space inbetween the bones and the tissue acts like cartilage. Also this bone needs to b shortened. What are my options. Originally I needed an osectiotomy- I still think I do. I don’t have arthritis – with this toe I need to treat it that way- all the cartilage was taken when it was fused. I am highly athletic- and very much enjoy movement. And would like my toe to b good as new. If I have to go to Europe or Colorado.. I don’t mind. Just need to get my joint healthy again. Thanks !

• Kirsty says:

Amy.

The procedure you are describing is what I had done to repair my ankle condition that had caused me severe pain and the inability to walk .
      The injury is called syndesmosis. The Dr used titanium rope to act as cartilage between the tibia and fibula to hold them together rather than fusing. This way you still have flexibility after surgery. It was very successful. I still have an issue with my deltoid ligament which still causes pain but the other lateral ligament has been fixed and I have far less pain now. Look into tightrope procedure for syndesmosis injury.

• Luca says:

Dr Vulcano at Mount Sinai (NYC) is unbelievable. my mother had the most deformed foot I had ever seen…every surgeon we consulted recommended an amputation. Dr Vulcano reconstructed it to the point that she can now walk without pain and without crutches. He came recommended from family friends who loved him, and we thank god every day for bringing him into our life. Mom’s a new woman

3. patrick mahowald says:

Ankle replacement specialists in our area, eastern S.D

4. Richard Godlesky says:

Can you fix my ankle?

5. Linda Maciejewski says:

I have had two bone fusion surgeries in my left foot this past year and still have pain. The recent x-ray shows
    that the bone is still not fusing and the stabilizer pin has
    broke. The doctor suggest another surgery. How
    many surgeries can I have before the bone fuses
    together?

6. Cheryl says:

I need to have flat foot surgery, ankle realignment etc.. I am in Michigan. Detroit area. I have gotten 3 opinions but I want to make sure I have the best doc possible. Went to HSS in NYC but it isn’t practical for me to have it there. 9 hours away, can’t imagine sitting in a plane seat after a big surgery on my foot. Need recommendations for top surgeon within 2 hours of Detroit Thank you in advance

7. Beth Schuman says:

Who is the best ankle replacement surgeon in the San Francisco Bay area or Sacramento area?

8. Susan Passov says:

Looking for help in finding the best doctor to perform surgery on a person with very slight cp. Left toe is mostly the issue. Do you know of any great specialists around Cleveland, OH?

9. Trina Duncan says:

Both ankles crushed almost 20 years ago Dr. did the best to save both my legs. I am in constant pain and can barely walk. The older I get I know I will be wheelchair bound. Would I be a candidate for ankle replacements. My feet and ankles were crushed when the car I was driving was hit head-on and the floorboard came in on my legs.

• Elke says:

Hello Trina, I have been research and searching for a doctor who can help my son. My son was in a motorcycle accident when he was a teenager and his ankle was badly crushed. He is now 52 and in horrible pain. He has had several surgeries but to no avail. Do you have info on good doctor(s) that can help my son? It sounds like you have had your share of pain as well. Any help will be much appreciated.
      Thank you so much.
      Elke
      Elkekay@me.com

• Pam Thomas says:

Hi Trina, I’m just curious to know if you found any helpful responses? I have an ankle problem for which the current solution seems to be ankle replacement but I would like another opinion. I would consider traveling further afield but I would like to stay in the southeast if possible. Did you find a doctor?

Sincerely,

Pam

10. Kerri Rushing says:

Any suggestions on the best foot surgeon in the north Dallas area? I have a major problem with pain, swelling and bruising – my foot never healed correctly after a prior foot surgery (3 years ago). I really need this botched surgery fixed but I’m scared to go another bad doctor. Please help if you have any ideas!

11. Jeff wertz says:

Had an ankle fusion done on my ankle which is been arthritic and has been a problem for me for the past 10 years The surgery was done approximately three years ago.The fusion failed.Ifolowed the rehab as directed.the steel rod going up into the leg broke and the two large screws to hold the ankle together until infused,bent. I need a looking for a referral or recommendation of top ankle/ foot doctor in the Milwaukee and it’s surrounding areas Chicago Michigan Minnesota etc.It needs to be redone according to two doctors that I have seen subsequent to the surgery. However I do not want not interested in using those doctors for my follow-up surgery.Help please.

12. Sue says:

Has anyone had Midfoot fusion for severe mid foot arthritis. Would like the name of Top doctors in the Chicago area that do this surgery. I also have RA.

13. noel says:

I need a top ankle doctor within two hundred miles or so of Albany NY.
    I twisted my ankle 7 years ago and was operated on in 2016 to clean it up.
    After 6 months of rehab and rest, pain came back after I tried walking or playing golf moderately.
    I need a top doctor to look at it and to tell me what I need to do to be pain free and able to go for a walk or play golf.
    I have reports, MRI’s that I can send. I am willing to travel for appointment and treatment. respond to celticnoel@aol.com

14. Bill says:

Had ankle replacement. Have had different operation to fix it, for the last ten years. Same doctor. Still have very little movement, up and down. I walk on my heel. I am in pain most of the time, and can only walk short distance. Can only stay on my feet for about a hour with out setting down. Can this be fixed so I can walk flat footed? I have no down movement. I live in Tucson, Az. Last operation was Dec. 2016 to replace the plastic in a DePuy replacement. worst care I have ever had. Had to stay in splint for 4 month for wound to close and worse now that I first started. Can this be Fixed??

• Kirsty says:

I would research the top ankle specialists in the city that you live nearest to. I had two torn ligaments and could barely walk do to constant pain. It took Five specialists before it was diagnosed as ligament injury. Find the right doctor. My operation was tightrope procedure and was very successful. I live in Canada and consider myself lucky that I eventually found the right orthopedic surgeon. It makes all the difference.

15. devra smith says:

I fractured my right ankle 12 years ago and tore a ligament.my bone healed perfect but my orthopedic surgeon decided not to fix the one broken ligament years later I had broken every ligament in my ankle and had a large synovial syst. I had a complete removal of sist and and ligament and had bioengineered ligament put in it was unsuccessful and had a second surgery and now 7 8 years after both surgeries I am still in constant pain and my ankle swells at the slightest activity it’s unliveable I need someone who can fix this problem so I can get back into shape and not live in constant pain.

16. Michael says:

Dr. Mann (Oakland, Ca) one of the Very best calcaneus & Heel replacement people out there

17. Dave says:

I had a Starr ankle replacement at Georgetown about 4 years ago. It has now failed and needs revised. Would appreciate any recommendations on ankle surgeons in VA/MD/DC?
    I would prefer not to go back to Georgetown.

• Sue says:

Dave – I have been advised to have ankle replacement surgery. One of the doctors I have consulted is in Georgetown Hospital in DC and he uses the STAR device. Based on your message, it seems I should stay away from STAR. Grateful for your advice. I know this isn’t a reply to your message, but I am still researching the options. Ankle replacement devices in luxe: Cadence, Zimmer, Prophecy Infinity, and I reckon there are others.
      Thank you so much. sue

• Allan says:

I am looking to get the Prophecy ankle replacement too!! In-bone seems the way to go!! I was recommended to get the Infinity ankle by Dr. Sanders because he said he didn’t like to go through the heel bone for a surgery. It seems to me that this is the way to go. Any advice?

• Kelli says:

Lew Schon in Baltimore is great. Still working on my foot issues, but I recommend him as a forward thinker and very knowledgeable.

18. Michelle says:

Is there a good foot surgeon in Hawaii?
    Thanks

19. Kevin says:

I’m a 65 yr ol male w/ Type I DM for 59 yrs. I have a non-healing foot ulcer behind the little toe on my R foot & osteomyelitis in the 5th metatarsal. I have taken IV ABX for 6 wks. w/ no improvement per MRI’s.
    I’m not comfortable w/ my podiatrist performing a complex surgical procedure if it comes to that so am looking for an orthopedic surgeon in southern NJ or Philadelphia who is expert in the care & treatment of conditions like I describe here. Any suggestions?

20. Bill says:

I have a torn tibialis anterior tendon. This has resulted in foot drop in my right foot . I intend to have surgery to repair/reattach the tendon. I understand the complexity of the surgery and the recovery time. I live in Austin TX and Hilton Head SC. I can go anywhere to do the surgery. I’m just looking for the best orthopedic surgeon with the most experience in this surgery. I want to avoid HSS in NYC. I’m currently looking for doctors in Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charleston SC. Any suggestions on the best surgeon? Thank you

• Diana says:

Bill, I am curious if you found a good surgeon for your ankle and if you have had the surgery yet? I have a 70% tear of my anterior tibial tendon and trying to decide what to do – would the tendon heal with a boot or is surgery necessary? Hope your ankle is getting better!

21. Lem says:

I wish someone would reply to everyone who has left comments. What good is your information if you can’t follow up. I need an ankle replacement, crushed in a car accident. I read all of your comments and I am praying for you to find relief.

• Renee says:

Lem,
      I absolutely feel your frustration and believe there are tons of people who have similar “failed” foot/ankle surgeries and stories (I have had 7 surgeries on my left foot/ankle within the past 6 years and desperately need an 8th), who are all desperately looking for the same help. Unfortunately, what we all keep hearing, from story after story, is that there just doesn’t seem to be a/any “go-to” orthopedic surgeons out there who seems to have what it takes to help us…….. I PRAY that there is someone who can prove all of us wrong, and is willing to share that information with us all!
      I am a Registered Nurse who had to medical out of my profession (in my 40’s), even though I went to “the best-of-the-best” (KU MED and MAYO CLINIC).
      Left SPEECHLESS and HOPELESS

• Allan says:

I was scheduled for an ankle replacement surgery and backed out in the week before. I did not want the Infinity ankle but want the IN_BONE Prophecy Ankle Replacement but can not find an adept surgeon. I will stay on the pain meds until I do. Opioids are becoming harder and harder to get now-days. But they work! I will not get a surgery that has an 85% rate of failure!! The Prophecy IN_BONE has a rate of 85% positive!! Thats what I want. I am a remodeling contractor and I still work. I’m only 62 and have plenty of work to do for my customers that want me!! I need a foot to let me get up and down the stairs. Any advice for a great surgeon?

22. Gabriela says:

4 months ago I had my first osteotomy for bunion repair on left foot. MRI shows 3 mm Morton’s neuroma at the second intermetatarsal webspace. I live in Las Vegas. Can anyone suggest or recommend Dr. who has successfully operated this in the country?

• Pam Thomas says:

Hi Duane, did you find a doctor? I’m curious because I have a similar problem. My ankle was nearly torn off from a fall but i also got an environmental infection from falling on old wet leaves. It took 12 surgeries in 3 ½ months to get the infection at bay and for the plastic surgeons to close it up.

Now I have bone-on-bone arthritis which developed in the first year after surgery. I’m just reaching the end of my second year since the accident and am considering ankle replacement but I’m scared. There was just so much tissue, and everything, damaged by the break and then worse damage by the infection. And I can’t take having a lot more surgeries. I’m wary of any more surgery but would sure love to be able to take a long walk.

Sincerely,

Pam

23. Duane Scholl says:

I had an accident and fell from a tree and my foot was torn off at the ankle. It was reattached surgically but now I have severe bone on bone arthritis. I live in Indianapolis area and have seen 4 doctors and all want to fuse it. I am a runner and need a better option. I pray someone knows a good surgeon that will take military (Tricare insurance) in Indy, Midwest, or anywhere I could get it fixed. Can anyone please give me a surgeon that may help please? Thank you so much.

24. Jack Finley says:

Posterior tendon split in two places after a fall 3 years ago!
    Surgery to clean joint worked for a while- want to run again- who in Orlando, Ocala, Tampa area do your recommend?
    Have MRI’s & notes!

25. Danelle Perret says:

Hello<
    I live in the New Orleans area. I am a 55 yr female who has a left total ankle replacement. It was the Agility Total Ankle done by a local doctor in September of 1999!
    My ankle replacement has failed and my bone have fused over and into the ankle prosthesis!! I am in a lot of pain.
    I have been to 4 orthopedic surgeons 3 of which who want to fuse it due to inadequate bone stock. My doctor wants to do an ankle replacement but said it would be a long and challenging case. Another doctor said that I have a 25% chance of getting my leg amputated if the fusion doesn't take which scares the daylights out of me!! I am so confused about which surgical approach fusion or replacement is best for me especially since ankle replacement surgery lasts only for about 10- 15 years which means I would need another revision surgery barring no complications!! Please help and or advise me!!

26. Mary says:

Who is best ankle replacement surgeon in Washington, DC, area?

27. Bonnie says:

I am a realatively healthy 67 year old female with hammer toes, arthritis in the tops of both feet, and toes twisted due to neuropathy. I am already walking on the edge of my left big toe. On the right foot, my big toe has a big separation between it and the next toe…..and that toe has separated from the next three. The toe next to my little toe has pushed into my foot and is taking my little toe with it. I made a makeshift splint from a piece of popsicle stick and it helps a little. My first hammer toe surgery was in 1989 and the surgeon removed too much bone, and now I am told there is nothing to work with and therefore, the podiatrist cannot help me. I have been offered cortisone shots to help with the arthritis and orthopedic shoes. I am not ready for orthopedic shoes. Vital organs are replaced every day……and my toes can’t be fixed? I refuse to believe this. Please……surely someone in N.C. or S.C. or somewhere I can get to is willing to take this challenge. I have been turned down twice already. There has to be help for me. I am not ready to sit down and give up. Please!

28. Jessie says:

Hello,

I have had a history of ankle sprains and about 18 months ago I had a severe sprain on a trampoline (I am 31) and I still suffer with inflammation when I stand too long or attempt to work out. I know that I severed my ligaments. What procedure might be able to help with this and what risks would it run? Thank you for your help!

• Karen says:

I have tarsal tunnel syndrome due to what the head of orthopedic surgery at John Hopkins said was scar tissue of the flexor halligus pressing against the nerve canal . It’s very painful and debilitating. That tendon runs parallel to the nerve canal so maybe there is inflammation or scar tissue pushing against the nerve canal . I got a cortisone shot and it helped . I don’t know if you have pain from that nerve canal like I did .

• Jamie Gugger says:

You should have an MRI. A peroneal tendon tear is what was discovered with my ankle. Cortisone weakens your tendons and is a bandaid to the problem. Conservative cam boot for a month helped but didn’t resolve the issues. It has been one week since surgery, will keep you posted.

29. Roger Milla says:

After a right ankle surgery where bone filler was injected to fill holes in talus bone, i have been having pain in my tendon while running or cutting. It’s been a yrarsince initial surgery but 6 months since corrective surgery on same ankle. Flexor hallucis longus ankle pain Is what the PT says i have. Any cure for this?

30. Fred Ferlic says:

For any ankle problem that requires stability (ligaments, fx, OA, etc)
    check out: taycobrace.com Only EXTERNAL/Outside the shoe ankle brace for stabilization.

31. Joel Dotson says:

Had big toe joint replacement. Now second big toe curls up like a claw and crosses over big toe. Worst part, I can’t walk more than a mile without the pad under my second big toe hurting to the point I start to limp. I regret getting the joint replacement. My foot hurts more today than it did before. Can this be corrected?

• Sounds like you need second toe fixed. I can relate – common complication of working on big toe. Neglect to fix second toe and metarsaglgia and top of the foot pain continue. I can’t walk that far and I’ve tried every type of orthopedic. Good luck. Just keep seeing doctors till you find one that resonates. I think I’ve seen 7.

32. Danna Mongoven says:

I had two bunion and hammertoe surgeries by same La Jolla, CA surgeon within a year. First one failed miserably. I decided to trust her again with second surgery. She fixed the bunion with two screws but neglected to fix second hammertoe again which is now too long for my foot and curling in causing bad pain. She also did a bunionechtomy, cut off too much bone and my little toe is sticking up straight. One surgeon said I should just amputate that toe. Could try soft-tissue procedure but it might not last. Yikes! Went to Dr. Pfeffer at Cedar-Sinai and I’m sure he’s smart but sooooo Hollywood and far away from San Diego. Anyone know the best San Diego, Orange County foot surgeon?

• Jenny says:

Hi – wondering what your impression was of Dr. Pfeffer. I am seeing him next month after 2 failed bunion surgeries with DPMs. Also, I wouldn’t hesitate traveling to LA if he’s good. I’m from the SF bay area. Thank you and good luck!

33. Joyce Palmer says:

i severely fractured my ankle over 40 years ago. I am 66 years of age. In the last 5-7 years I have developed pain and walking is extremely uncomfortable. I can barely walk to the bathroom in the morning. I had a fusion (subtalar joint) 3 years ago; still have quite a bit of motion but do not want another fusion. Pain is now at bottom of right side of foot and the right side of the foot , just below the ankle. Right foot is flat, and have put on over 50 lbs. Have completed just about all conservative forms of interventions. Diagnoses: arthritis, plantar fascitis, peroneal tendinitis. Willing to travel to Baltimore, St. Louis, New York for another opinion for a second opinion. Live in Louisville, KY.

34. Diana says:

Need help with a big toe problem. On antibiotics for 6 months now. Now off antiobio problem not fixed. Need an excellelent ortho surgeon in the Brookfield or Milwaukee Wi area for my daughter.
    Diana

35. Essa says:

Who is the best surgeon for osteochondral fracture of talus in uSA ( I liv win columbus , Oh but can go to any one.Thansk

36. Rodney Young says:

I’ve had MRIs on both ankles severe tenant damage and other issues Burns constantly all the time never stops having a hard time finding the right doctor in the Sacramento area Kaiser Permanente won’t take Blue Cross and must be somebody out there in the Sacramento area that is good and takes this good Blue Cross Insurance, any new information would be greatly appreciated

• Joan Imelio says:

I’m seeing Dr. George Lian for ankle replacement and subtalar fusion in a couple of weeks after many months of severe pain; arthritis and PTTD . . . he comes highly recommended.

37. Suzanne says:

Looking for top foot reconstruction surgeons in Boston, Houston (TX), or San Francisco area (those are my location options for surgery). Lisfranc injury. Can anyone help with recommendations in any of these locations?

38. Shannon says:

Looking for a top ankle surgeon in Portland, OR area. Complex fracture /shattered talus body and dislocated neck. No cartilage remains on talus. Ligaments and tendons are so tight and painful even after a month of PT, several acupuncture and numerous massage appts.

Any recommendations?

39. Corinna Kaufman says:

Looking for a top surgeon who does ankle replacements.
    I have a friend whose ligaments/tendons “don’t hold up the ankle.” He lives in Colorado, but may be ok to travel to see the best person. Thank you.

40. My husband had an ankle fusion many years ago for severe arthritis pain. He continues to have severe pain that limits his function. I am wondering if ankle replacement is an option for him; another factor is that he is in his 80’s with CAD for which he takes medications.

I will appreciate any and all feedback/suggestions.

Thank you.

41. Dusanka Durdevic says:

Who is the best doctor for torn ligaments surgery for athletes?

Thanks you.